Late field goal lifts Wilmington Friends over Woodbridge

BRIDGEVILLE — Wilmington Friends kicker Jacob Jaworski drilled a chip-shot 28-yard field goal with 25 seconds to play to give the Quakers a 24-21 victory over Woodbridge High Friday night.

The three-point loss drops the Blue Raiders to 1-2 on the season.

“We just have to be focused, that’s our problem right now,” said Woodbridge coach Ed Manlove. “We’re just not making plays and we’re giving up big plays, so we’re just not playing up to our potential.”

With a 21-21 ball game in the fourth quarter, the two sides exchanged punts before Woodbridge took over at their own 15-yard line with 2:16 remaining.

On the third play of the drive, Wilmington Friends’ defense picked off a pass attempt to take over possession at Woodbridge’s 16-yard line with 1:23 to play.

The late-game interception would set-up Jaworski’s game-winner from 28 yards away.

“We just have to get consistency, that’s what we’re not having right now,” Manlove said of the offense. “We used, I don’t know, seven or eight running backs tonight, and you can’t do that to be successful.

It was Woodbridge’s offense that would strike first, with senior running back Jamon Kane capping the game’s first possession with a 34-yard touchdown run.

The extra point would make it a 7-0 ball game, but the Wilmington Friends offensive unit responded with an opening drive touchdown of their own.

Senior Peyton McNeill would run the ball in from five yards out and the extra point knotted the game 7-7 at the 3:30 mark of the first quarter.

Junior quarterback Wyatt Nelson would toss a 65-yard touchdown to senior Quentin McAbee with 8:31 to play in the second quarter to give the Quakers a 14-7 advantage.

At the 1:50 mark of the half, Blue Raiders quarterback Troy Haynes scored on a two-yard QB sneak to tie the game up once again, 14-14.

Just minutes later, Nelson responded by tossing his second 50+ yard touchdown, this time to Will Davis from 57 yards out, to regain the seven-point lead just 29 seconds before the halftime break.

“Normally we played very well,” Manlove said of the defense. “We just weren’t focused on what we had to do tonight.”

After forcing a Quakers punt to begin the second half, Woodbridge took over with 7:19 to play in the third quarter and would orchestrate a nearly nine-minute scoring drive.

Facing fourth and goal from the 17-yard line following a costly 15-yard penalty, Haynes hit senior Brock Keeler for a 17-yard touchdown strike to cap the eight-minute, 54 second drive. The touchdown and extra point knotted the game 21-21 with 10:35 to play.

“It was a huge play for us, but the problem with that is we put ourselves in the hole from the beginning,” Manlove said of Keeler’s catch and run. “We should’ve just scored earlier — we were on the three-yard line. He made the play, but I don’t even know how many penalties we had tonight.”

Facebook Comment