Late TD lifts St. Georges past Dover 35-30

Dover’s Javon Peace (#1) carries the ball as St. Georges Technical defeats Dover 35-30. (Special to the Delaware State News/Doug Curran)

MIDDLETOWN — The Dover High football team was able to mount multiple comebacks on Saturday afternoon.

But St. Georges High had one rally of its own up its sleeve.

St. Georges scored a go-ahead touchdown with 2:07 left to deal Dover a 35-30 defeat in a nonconference contest. The Senators trailed by as much as 15 points in the first half before they took the lead late in the fourth quarter.

Dover (1-4) scored 15 unanswered to tied at 22-22 in the second half and eventually took a 30-29 advantage on Javon Peace’s touchdown followed by a two-point conversion with 3:23 left.

“I’m thankful for the effort,” said Dover coach Rudy Simonetti. “I commend our kids for that. With a young team I think that’s important.”

Dover’s Gabriel Evans (#2) and Jordan Magee (#13) celebrate a touchdown as St. Georges Technical defeats Dover 35-30. Special to The Delaware State News / Doug Curran

Peace’s touchdown was set up by a heads up play by Elijah Lemon-DeJesus. Lemon-DeJesus called for a fair catch when St. Georges lobbed a kickoff attempt to the front row of Dover’s kickoff return formation.

Lemon-DeJesus was hit late on the play after receiving the fair catch and the ensuing personal foul penalty gave the Senators the ball at the St. Georges 36-yard line.

Peace took a handoff on the first play and scampered 36 yards for the touchdown. Simonetti elected to go for two for a potential win and Peace rewarded his faith by powering his way across the goal line.

Rudy Simonetti, Dover’s head coach, talks to his players at the end of the game as St. Georges Technical defeats Dover 35-30. Special to The Delaware State News / Doug Curran

St. Georges started its next drive on its own 22-yard line but quickly moved into Dover territory. The Hawks needed only two plays to reach the Dover 35.

Jerren Williams recorded a sack by Dover to push St. Georges back to the 42. But on third down St. Georges quarterback Robert Shorts picked out J’Aire Pritchett for a 42-yard reception down the sideline.

Dover stopped the two-point conversion to give the Senators a chance to win the game with a touchdown. They didn’t record a first down on their final drive though after three incomplete passes and a three-yard loss.

Dover has been battling through injuries all season and it showed at times on Saturday.

The Dover coaching staff signals from the sidelines as St. Georges Technical defeats Dover 35-30. Special to The Delaware State News / Doug Curran

“Unfortunately injuries are catching up with us,” Simonetti said. “We’re a young team right now. I’m proud of the way they fought back. We’ll come back from this. We’ll practice harder and get ready for next Friday.”

Jordan Magee paced the Senators with three touchdowns. The junior quarterback ran for a three-yard touchdown in the second quarter and threw for a pair of scores in the second half.

Chris Dabney caught an 11-yard pass from Magee while Gabriel Evans snared a 26-yard touchdown reception on fourth-and-long to tie the game at 22.

Facebook Comment