Senators rally to edge Sussex Tech 30-27 in 2OT thriller

Akil Garrett ran for 35 yards and picked off the game-sealing pass in Dover’s comeback win (Delaware State News/Ben Heck).

GEORGETOWN — Dover High erased a late two-touchdown deficit, scoring a pair of fourth quarter touchdowns on the way to a thrilling 30-27 double-overtime victory over Sussex Tech High Friday night.

Senior quarterback Elijah Allen hit junior Tyrese Sanabria, from 12 yards and 25 yards out, on both the fourth quarter touchdowns to force the OT period.

The Henlopen North win improves Dover’s record to 4-4 overall (3-2 North) and drops the Ravens to 3-5 (2-3 North).

The Senators host defending Division I state champion Sussex Central High next Friday night.

Sussex Tech struck first in overtime, with K.J. Custis scoring from four yards out. The missed extra point put the Ravens ahead, 27-21.

Jordan Moran throws one of his six pass attempts. The Dover QB ran for a two-yard TD in the first overtime and booted the game-winning field goal in the second OT.

Dover’s Jordan Moran scored on a two-yard QB keeper on fourth down in the first overtime period but then missed the potential game-winning extra point to send it into double OT.

Minutes later, Moran redeemed himself by booting the go-ahead 27-yard field goal to put the Senators ahead by three points.

Akil Garrett sealed the comeback victory just minutes later with the game-ending interception at the goal line on third down.

Allen tossed for 198 yards and three touchdowns on 12 completions. Sanabria reeled in six of those passes for 81 yards and two scores. Four of the six catches came on the game-tying drive with under two minutes.

Junior Qualeak Bumbrey ran for 70 yards on 11 carries for Dover.

Sussex Tech scored touchdowns on each of its two first possessions as quarterback Chase Snyder tossed a 52-yard touchdown to Jordan Harper on just the third play of the game.

Dover’s Allen responded with a 58-yard touchdown toss to Tajae Cooper on the second play of its first drive, tying the game 7-7 with 9:38 remaining in the first quarter.

Tech regained the 14-7 lead on a one-yard score from K.J. Custis, capping an eight-play, 74-yard scoring drive.

The Ravens extended the first half lead to 21-7 on a 34-yard scamper from Conor Ellingsworth with 10:08 remaining in the half.

Custis and Ellingsworth combined for 112 yards on the ground and the two rushing scores in the first half.

Harper abruptly ended a Dover drive with under a minute remaining in the half by picking off an Allen pass attempt deep inside Sussex Tech territory.

Following a scoreless third quarter, Dover cut into the lead with a 12-yard touchdown strike from Allen to Sanabria with 7:05 remaining.

After a big fourth down stop, Dover had its shot to tie things up.

The defense set it up perfectly. Nearing the two-minute mark and facing a fourth and short, Dover’s unit forced a turnover on downs to give the ball back to the offense.

Needing a touchdown to tie the game, Allen hit Sanabria from 25 yards out. The successful extra point try forced the overtime period.

Facebook Comment