William Penn leaves sour taste in Cape’s mouth 4-1

MILFORD — Cape Henlopen High School boys soccer coach Patrick Kilby said he hopes his Vikings players left with the same bitter taste in their mouths as he had following a 4-1 defeat to William Penn in the quarterfinals of the DIAA Division I state boys’ soccer tournament on Saturday night.

The game turned chippy late as several players for the Colonials appeared to try to show up Cape’s team and even egged on spectators in the grandstands as the clock wound down.

Sophomore Nicholas Perez scored twice and senior Joe Mukaku, along with sophomore Bill Wilson, each scored a goal apiece to fuel the fifth-seeded Colonials’ triumph over No. 4-seed Cape in the first half of a doubleheader at Milford High’s Briggs Stadium.

William Penn, which improved to 13-3 overall, advances to the semifinal round, where it will face the winner of Saturday’s late game between top-seeded Salesianum and No. 8-seed Sussex Tech in the second half of the quarterfinal doubleheader at Milford.

“I felt as though we carried 100 percent of the class of this match and I told my guys coming back that the way that program (William Penn) carried themselves should leave a bad taste in our mouths and that should fuel our return for next season,” said coach Kilby, whose Vikings finished their season 12-3-1.

Cape Henlopen’s only other losses this season were to Henlopen Conference rivals Indian River and Caesar Rodney.

Coach Kilby did give credit to the Colonials for pulling out the victory. He just didn’t award any points for sportsmanship.

“William Penn outhustled us to a lot of the 50/50 balls,” he said. “I feel as though we didn’t play quick enough through the central midfield and we let them dictate the tempo of the game and that created chances for them. They finished them and kudos to them, they earned it.”

William Penn took control early when it hit the scoreboard first in the 26th minute after Perez booted a free kick following a Viking penalty that traveled 25 yards into the net.

His goal snuck in just to the left side of Cape goaltender Alan Marin-Quiroz to give the Colonials a 1-0 lead in a closely fought opening 40 minutes.

Perez gave William Penn a two-goal advantage in the 49th minute when he drilled a corner kick that arched its way just inside the Cape goal to give the Colonials a 2-0 lead.

He said getting the early momentum was vital to his team’s victory.

“It was all about effort — a lot of effort,” Perez said. “We played well as a team and that’s all we could do. We were able to get into their heads by scoring first and it was pretty easy for us after that.”

William Penn has outscored its opponents 56-12 this season.

Cape Henlopen junior Lucas Johnson put the Vikings on the scoreboard as he put senior teammate Kannex Carmaco’s rebounded shot attempt into the net past William Penn goalkeeper Juan Bahena in the 51st minute to make it 2-1.

“I was at the back post waiting for it and Kannex (Camarco) took a nice shot off the goalie’s hands and I just tapped it in,” Johnson said.

However, just under one minute later, Mukaku scored on a header as William Penn extended its lead to 3-1 with 27:31 remaining.
Wilson scored the final goal for the Colonials in the closing minute.

Johnson admitted that his team’s performance on Saturday mirrored the cold, breezy weather.

“Overall, we just came out ice cold,” he said. “Our mentality should have been better coming into the game.”

Facebook Comment