Wolverines notch first win, blank College of N.J. 33-0

EWING, N.J. — It took a little longer than the Wesley College football team would have liked.

But the Wolverines finally posted their first win of the season with a decisive 33-0 victory win over the College of New Jersey in their New Jersey Athletic Conference opener on Saturday afternoon.

After having an open date last weekend, No. 24 Wesley (1-1) had gone 16 days without playing a game. On Saturday, though, the Wolverines out-gained the Lions, 467 yards to 203 as they were in control throughout.

In his debut as Wesley’s starting quarterback, junior Khaaliq Burroughs completed 18-of-23 passes for 226 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Receiver James Okike had nine catches for 119 yards and a TD while sophomore E.J. Lee ran for a career-high 188 yards and a pair of TDs on 18 carries.

Junior Alex Kemp (Caesar Rodney High) also each caught a scoring pass, finishing with 53 yards on four receptions.

On defense, senior linebackers Mike Sabino (Lake Forest) and Samer Manna each notched nine tackles. Fellow senior DaJahn Lowery tallied six tackles and three pass breakups.

Junior defensive tackles Nick Glover (Dover) made six tackles, including two sacks. Freshman defensive end Stefon Woodruff, a first-year transfer from Delaware, collected four sacks and forced a fumble.

Graduate student Greg Taylor (Sussex Central) picked off TCNJ’s Trevor Osler in the fourth quarter. As a whole, the defense collected nine sacks.

Wesley opened the scoring 10 minutes into the game when Ben Moore (Lake Forest) rushed 13 yards on a speed sweep for a touchdown to cap off a seven-play drive. The march was highlighted by two 20-plus yard pass completions from Burroughs to Okike.

Following a 76-yard run by Lee to the TCNJ 14-yard line, Burroughs found Okike for a 11-yard touchdown connection.

Lee finished off a short 4-play, 67-yard drive with a 19-yard touchdown run. The TD was set up by a Kemp 13-yard catch and an Okike 28-yard reception as Wesley took a 19-0 advantage with 7:41 left in the second quarter.

It took Wesley until 5:36 left in the third quarter to make the lead 26-0 when Lee busted through the Lions’ defensive line for a seven-yard scoring run.

In TCNJ’s opening drive of the fourth quarter, Woodruff forced a fumble. which was recovered by Isaiah Ingram at the Wesley 45-yard line.

Wesley capitalized on the fumble recovery when Burroughs found Kemp for a nine-yard touchdown reception with 10:01 remaining in the game.

The shutout was Wesley’s first since blanking the Lions 41-0 last season.

The Wolverines will be back in action on Saturday when they travel to Wayne, N.J. to take on William Paterson in NJAC action. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.

Facebook Comment