Georgetown controlled burn spreads to structure

GEORGETOWN — A controlled burn spread to an unoccupied dwelling structure Tuesday morning, causing approximately $40,000 in damage, the Fire Marshal’s Office said. According to spokesman Chief Deputy John Galaska, the fire in the 22000 block of Simpler Branch Road was reported shortly after 10:30 a.m. The Millsboro Fire Company arrived on the scene and […]

Red Cross help displaced victims of apartment fire

DOVER — The blaze displaced residents from elementary school age to 81, all of them reeling. Following a destructive apartment complex fire Thursday, the City of Dover and Red Cross of Delmarva provided what they so desperately needed. About 50 persons living at Baytree Apartment Homes received supplies and shelter to cushion the sudden shock […]

Chimney malfunction causes Marydel blaze

MARYDEL — Two 73-year-old residents were in good condition after suffering smoke inhalation during a fire early Friday, authorities said. The man and woman were awakened by a smoke alarm around 3:30 a.m. in the 3800 block of Sandy Bend Road, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio. They were transported to Bayhealth-Kent […]

Family of four displaced in Greenwood blaze

GREENWOOD — A family of four was displaced after a Wednesday morning residential fire in the 100 block of Duck Creek Lane, authorities said. According to State Fire Marshal Chief Deputy John M. Galaska, the fire was reported shortly after 8:30 a.m. No occupants were home at the time, he said. The Greenwood Volunteer Fire […]

Odessa fire displaces to residents

ODESSA — An early morning blaze displaced two occupants and caused $300,000 in damage in a Front Street residence, officials said. The fire, which was reported shortly before 1:30 a.m. in the 100-block of Front Street, was ruled accidental, said Michael Chionchio, assistant state fire marshal. The fire originated inside the chimney and escaped into […]

Fire damages building in Rehoboth

REHOBOTH BEACH — An early Friday morning fire has been ruled accidental by the Delaware fire marshal. The fire, which occurred around 3 a.m., badly damaged a building on Olive Avenue in Rehoboth Beach. The fire originated inside the third floor unit when an electrical malfunction occurred in ceiling lights, the fire marshal said. No […]

Three homes engulfed in Slaughter Beach blaze

SLAUGHTER BEACH – One home was likely destroyed and two others heavily damaged during an afternoon fire in the 200 block of Bay Avenue in Slaughter Beach, town mayor Harry Ward said Wednesday. There were 11 fire companies at the scene, Mr. Ward said, and a Memorial Volunteer Fire Company run log indicated a call […]